You may qualify for a B-1 visa in the U.S. if you are participating in business activities, commercial or professional in nature, including but not limited to:

  • Consulting with business associates
  • Traveling for a scientific, educational, professional, or business convention, or a conference on specific dates
  • Settling an estate
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Participating in short-term training
  • Transiting through the United States: certain persons may transit the United States with a B-1 visa
  • Deadheading: certain air crewmen may enter the United States as deadhead crew with a B-1 visa

You must demonstrate the following in order to be eligible to obtain a B-1 visa:

  • The purpose of your trip is to enter the United States for business of a legitimate nature
  • You plan to remain for a specific limited period of time
  • You have the funds to cover the expenses of the trip and your stay in the United States
  • You have a residence outside the United States in which you have no intention of abandoning, as well as other binding ties which will ensure your return abroad at the end of the visit
  • You are otherwise admissible to the United States

Initial Period of Stay – 1 to 6 months; 6 months is the maximum
Extension of Stay – Up to 6 months; maximum total amount of time permitted in B-1 status on any one trip is generally 1 year.

Family of B-1 visa holders such as your spouse and children are not eligible to obtain a dependent visa. Each of your dependents who will be accompanying or following to join you must apply separately for a B-2 visa and must follow the regulations for that visa.Family of B-1 Visa Holders

B2 Visitor Visa- for pleasure or medical treatment (i.e. tourist)

The B2 visitor visa is for individuals desiring to enter the United States on a temporary basis for pleasure or medical treatment.

Who would need a B-2 Visa?

  • Individuals who wish to come to the U.S. as tourists.
  • Individuals who wish to visit friends and relatives in the U.S. for a short time.
  • Individuals who need to come to the U.S. for medical treatment.
  • Foreign nationals who are coming to the U.S. to marry a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder, upon establishing with the consular official and the USCIS that after the marriage, individuals will depart from the U.S., even though intending ultimately to immigrate.
  • Amateur athletes, musicians, etc. who will participate in their respective activities in the U.S without any compensation.
  • Individuals coming to the U.S. to participate in conventions organized by social organizations.
  • Dependents of foreign national members of the U.S. armed forces temporarily assigned duty in the U.S.
  • Dependents of crew members (D visa holders) or B-1 visa holders solely to accompany the principal foreign national, or dependents of non-immigrants for which no derivative classification is available.
  • Individuals who wish to enter the U.S. to apply for special naturalization benefits on the basis of U.S. military service.