One path to U.S. Citizenship can be through a family petition from a family member who is currently a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident. U.S. citizens can petition for parents, spouses, siblings, and children. Permanent Residents (LPRs) can petition for spouses and children only. There is no quota or limit and, therefore, no waiting list for “Immediate Relatives” of U.S. Citizens – Unmarried children under 21, Spouse, Parent, Widow / Widower (under certain circumstances).

What Can a New York Family Immigration Attorney Do For Me?

If you are a U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident of the United States wanting to petition for a family member, Boyer Law Firm’s experienced New York family immigration attorneys can provide assistance and advice throughout the application process. The United States Customs and Immigrations Services (USCIS) has very strict rules and regulations when you apply for a U.S. visa or residence. This means that if you fill out your application incorrectly or fail to provide USCIS with the proper documents, then your application may be delayed or denied. In order to prevent this from happening, you should hire an experienced and knowledgeable immigration attorney.

Relatives in the following “preference” categories are subject to limits on the number of visas that can be issued each year.

First Preference

  • Unmarried sons or daughters (over age 21) of U.S. citizens.
  • Spouses of U.S. citizens

Second Preference

  • (2A) Spouses and unmarried children (under age 21) of legal permanent residents
  • (2B) Unmarried sons and daughters (over age 21) of legal permanent residents

Third Preference

  • Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.

Fourth Preference

  • Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens.

K – Fiancé/e of U.S. Citizen

  • The Fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen is eligible for a non-immigrant visa in order to marry within 90 days of entry to the U.S.